UnaVida | Can the wishes in your Will be overturned ?

Can the wishes in your Will be overturned ?

In a recent legal ruling, the wishes in a will have been overturned and the daughter who had been cut out of the will – awarded a £164,000 inheritance.

The daughter went to court after her mother Mrs Jackson left her £486,000 estate to animal charities when she died in 2004.

The Court of Appeal has ruled she should receive a third of the estate, as she had no income or pension and was on benefits.

Mrs Jackson made her last will in 2002 with a letter to explain why she had disinherited her only daughter, referring to the fact she had walked out of her home in 1978 to live with her boyfriend.

Dependants’ claims against an estate

So the answer is yes, the wishes in your Will can be overturned. Following a death, relatives, dependants and others can challenge someone’s will by going to court and claiming ‘reasonable financial provision’ from the estate. The same applies even if someone dies ‘intestate’ and beneficiaries are not happy about lot, they may be able to make a claim under intestacy rules

The following can make a claim against an estate:

  • Any spouse or civil partner.
  • Any former spouse or civil partner, provided they have not remarried or registered a new civil partnership.
  • Any other person with whom the deceased was cohabiting continuously for the two years immediately preceding death as spouse or civil partner.
  • Any children (which includes illegitimate, adopted and adult children, and children conceived but not yet born at the time of death, but not step children .
  • Any person who the deceased treated as a child of the family.
  • Any other person the deceased ‘maintained’.

There has been a lot of fuss over this recent legal ruling but surely the judge took the view that the mother’s lack of provision for her daughter was undeserved and as she had 5 children to look after was simply being fair in awarding a third of the value of the estate to her. In this particular case also perhaps the judge took the view that the mother was being unreasonable in her dispossession of the daughter.

This case highlights the difficulties you may encounter when you favour one beneficiary over another. It is not enough to simply write a will. If you do not want your will overturned then we suggest that you go through a full advisory process and that you establish trusts in your lifetime to more clearly direct to whom your assets should go to!

The above case reminds of a case in 2014 where a lady left her family out of her will and left around £500,000 to the Conservative Party. Yet the judge declared her Compos Mentis !!!!!

We facilitate secure legal documentation our clients, including wills ad lifetime trusts.

Registered in England and Wales. Registered Number 5553273.
Registered Address: 8f Millars Brook, Molly Millars Lane, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG41 2AD.

A pension is a long-term investment that typically cannot be accessed until age 55 (57 from April 2028). The level of pension benefits offered could change depending on the value of your investments (and any income they may generate).

The interest rates in effect at the time you begin receiving benefits may also have an impact on your pension income. The tax consequences of pension withdrawals will depend on your unique situation. In later Finance Acts, tax rates, tax bases, and tax relief may change.

The opinions expressed by Ray Best are meant to inform and educate. Before making any investment decisions always take advice that is pertinent to your investment personality and financial situation.

You are aware that past performance will not necessarily be repeated in the future, but you should be aware that persistent poor performance invariably will.

The value of an investment and the income from it could go down as well as up.

The return at the end of the investment period is not guaranteed and you may get back less than you originally invested.

UnaVida Wealth Management Ltd. is directly authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (440577).

The guidance in this website is primarily aimed at a UK audience and is subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate tax planning, estate planning, or wills and any form of legal documentation.